Colonial Days Field Trip
Washington Crossing Historic Park makes the perfect site for an educational (and fun!) field trip. The park offers dedicated Colonial Days that are specially designed for students of all ages. All of our educational programs meet common core history standards, and our hands-on approach to learning means that every student has the opportunity to experience the history of our site and 18th century life. Programs are offered Tuesdays – Fridays throughout the year.
During the field trip program – which runs from 10 AM to 12:30 PM – students rotate through stations, spending 15 minutes at each stop to learn about life in colonial America and the events of Christmas Night 1776.
Book your Colonial Days field trip by emailing KHeugatter@FriendsWCP.org.
FWCP are please to offer funding to offset program costs for schools receiving Title I funding. Free and reduced admission is available based on the need of the school and availability of funding. We encourage you to apply early in the school year in order to take advantage of this program. Funding for this program is provided in part by a generous grant from the Church and Dwight Employee Giving Fund. For more information on this program or to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Program Dates are customized based on the number of students signed up for each program and the grade levels of the students.
Some of the Colonial Days’ activities may include:
- Participation in soldiers’ drills
- Demonstration of musket and cannon firing
- Viewing of a short video about General Washington’s daring crossing of the Delaware River
- Demonstrations of candle dipping, gardening, spinning, woodcarving and caning
- Participation in 18th century children’s games
- A visit to a working blacksmith shop
- A tour of the boat barn containing replica Durham boats
- Time for a picnic lunch overlooking the river
- Time in the park gift shop
Private programs and field trips are available on other days upon request. All of the dates listed below are public program dates open to other schools. Please email email@example.com to inquire about private programs or additional dates.
- Wed. October 11, 2023
- Wed. October 25, 2023
- Tues. November 14, 2023
- Thurs. November 16, 2023
- SPRING 2024
- Wed. April 3, 2024
- Wed. April 10, 2024
- Wed. April 17, 2024
- Tues. April 30, 2024
- Wed. May 1, 2024
- Thurs. May 2, 2024
- Fri. May 3, 2024
- Wed. May 8, 2024
- Thus. May 9, 2024
- Tues. May 14, 2024
- Thur. May 16, 2024
- Fri. May 17, 2024
- Wed. May 22, 2024
- Thurs. May 30, 2024
- Wed. June 5, 2024
- Thurs. June 13, 2024
- Colonial Days Field Trip availability is subject to change per DCNR program requirements
- Capacity for each day is 300 students, and bookings are taken on a first-come, first-served basis
- Cost is $11.00 per student and additional adults (Teachers and school staff are complimentary)
- A 25% deposit is required at the time of booking
- Checks should be payable to Friends of Washington Crossing Park
- Fields trips are held rain or shine and are only cancelled in cases of severe weather
- Tour cancelled due to severe weather will be postponed to a mutually agreed upon date
- Schools that cancel less than 14 days prior to their field trips will forfeit their deposit
- Please forgive our appearance due to our ongoing Capital Project renovations
Subscribe for alerts about new Colonial Day Field Trip dates: